What is City Scraps?
- City Scraps is a curbside food scraps collection company servicing households and businesses who strive for a more sustainable eco-friendly food cycle.
What is Compost?
- Essentially it is nature’s way of recycling - organic materials being managed decompose into a rich soil known as compost.
Why is Composting a good thing?
- By using all of the microorganisms in our organic waste, we create balanced soil with higher levels of nutrients and moisture retention. Resulting in healthier plants which have a greater ability to fight off pests and diseases (reducing the need for pesticides), and producing more nutritious food sources. This similarly affects our health and habitats.
Why should we Reduce Landfill Waste?
- Organic material makes up an average of 30% of our waste.
- When organic materials are put in landfills they are denied access to oxygen thus creating greenhouse gases, destroying our atmosphere.
- Some waste is incinerated, which leaves toxic ash behind and releases carbon dioxide.
What can I put in my City Scraps Bin?
Coffee grounds and filters
- Plant Based and preferably with enough of another compostable absorbent in your bin to avoid small pest issues and flies.
Nuts and Shells
- Paper Towels and their rolls
- Pizza Style Cardboard boxes
- Shredded Paper (non-glossy)
- Toilet Paper and their rolls
Tea and Tea Bags
- Chop Sticks (cut down to smaller pieces)
- Corks (All Natural Only)
- Small Pet/Herbivore Litter Only; Bunny, Gerbil, Guinea Pig, Mouse, Hamster etc. Which contain mostly wood chips.
What doesn’t belong in my City Scraps Bin?
Meats and Dairy Products
- Animal products often contain harmful pathogens which may not be killed off during composting, resulting in potential health issues.
- Cat Litter
- Dog poop